My Games

Thursday, August 23, 2018

SHIELDBREAKER: Play Report 1

Last night I GMed my first LotFP game! The game was set in my Phantasmos campaign setting. On the whole I think it went pretty well, but I'll discuss it all in detail below. Also I don't know what the hell happened with the formatting on this post, it's clearly a mess but I can't figure out how to fix it so it's just gonna be what it's gonna be >.<.

The Premise
    The players are part of the Pearl Panthers, a mercenary group hired by the Grim General in Blue to resolve issues that Nova Arkham can't or does not want to directly involve itself with. The kingdom utilizes a program known as SWORD & SHIELD. Through unknown (and implicitly shady) means, the kingdom has acquired a large quantity of deceased axols, humanoid axolotl-like mutants born in pairs, where one sibling is a powerful psionic nematode-like creature. They reanimated the axols as Unliving, programming the humanoids into SHIELDs and the psionic siblings into SWORDS. 
    
    The SHIELDs are like tactical idiot savants, they have little to no ability to communicate rationally and little to no individual will, but are geniuses at urban tactics, manipulating the workings of the capitol in their favor. The SWORDs are like super-wolves, programmed to be the ultimate hunters. The SWORDs are programmed to hunt the SHIELDs, and the SHIELDs are programmed to divert the SWORDs. As the SWORDs learns the SHIELDs' tricks, the SHIELDs must improve their tactics to survive. The intel gathered from the SWORD & SHIELD program is utilized by the Grim General to better predict crime, re-organize the capitol for maximum efficiency, and tighten his grip on Nova Arkham. 

    One of the SHIELDs has gone rogue, manipulating the SWORDs and the capitol city of Nova Arkham itself. It is not known how, or why, but it is wreaking havoc in its wake.

The Characters
    Unfortunately only two players were able to make it to this first session, but fortunately they were both great!

    Cynope (played by Dan D): A quenduin amazon. She works for the Pearl Panthers to make money to take care of her sick sister.
    
    Xx_Slayer_Queen_69 (played by Michael Kennedy): Also known as X or Slayer. A mutant phreaker and thrillseeker. She's a goth cyberpunk hacker-type with a scarlet mohawk, spiky black jacket, automagic PMC strapped to one arm, and a roth obsidian visor covering her red eyes.

Play Report
          The party started at Helnwein's Tavern, celebrating their first successful mission, having busted a Dogu mafia electrocoil gun deal. They discussed the course of events to their handler, Arnold Tanaka. X charmed the entire gang and Cynope literally punched through their faces. Some embellishment may have occurred, but forever after that's how it will be remembered.

          Arnold planted a mesmeric suggestion into the party, effectively allowing them to maintain mental communication with him and each other. The communication is actually a neural network-like model estimate; the longer they go between mesmerism sessions, the more communication errors will occur.

          He gives the party the following intel
  1.           The SHIELD was seeing the psychiatrist Doctor Hyboria before going rogue.
  2.           A SWORD manipulated by the SHIELD intercepted the Phantom Sheriff during an arrest, releasing two dangerous outlaw mutants. Their victims are being treated at Quickie-Cut Barbershop and Feldshery.
  3.           The Oracle owes Arnold a favor, as a last resort they can seek consultation.
  4.           Arnold's mesmerist network predicts the danger of the rogue SHIELD with a doomsday clock. As they travel from place to place, the doomsday clock moves closer to midnight.
    The party traveled to Doctor Hyborea's mansion. They got lost along the way, but the constantly developing urban sprawl of the capitol is confusing, and the mansion is a bit off the meridian system... Anyway, they fail to find any major lead on the SHIELD, except that Doctor Hyborea does seem to know something, but also seems to be going dangerously insane.

    They travel to the Sheriff's office. The Phantom Sheriff gives them zir's intel. Most of it is redacted, but they learn that the outlaws were involved in some gang war, and their names are Barry and Terry. Barry is a barracuda-like bioluminscent mutant. When blue, he's docile, when red, he's psychopathically violent. Terry is a large humanoid mutant with super strength and loose skin which he calls his "foldy flaps". By stretching and scrunching the foldy flaps, he can tell fortunes and make predictions, making him not just strong, but also smart.

    They travel to the barbershop to interrogate The Feldsher and the victims of the fight with the outlaws. They learn that the outlaws were working with professional-looking goons associated with Occulon, and that the conflict involved a fight with electrocoil gun-wielding Dogu mafioso. Occulon is a powerful businessman who spends much of his time at the Forum, and has been gunning for the Grim General's job. While ostensibly above-board, everyone knows he's a crook.

    They travel to the Forum to investigate Occulon. Along the way, they get lost again. The Forum is located in the entertainment district and the party definitely knows how to get there. They realize that the SHIELD must be manipulating the city against them. X is ambushed by a SWORD, nearly killing her, before stalling momentarily and then running off. The party chooses not to track the SWORD, instead sticking to their original plan of investigating Occulon. Investigating the urban sprawl they were attacked in, they find a dead goon whose head was missing, as if entirely nullified. On the goon they find 30 gold and a potion that they could not identify.

    ... and that's where we left things off, with the Doomsday Clock at 4 and the party just outside the forum. Looking forward to seeing what they do next!

The Breakdown
    On the whole I think we had a good time and I'm reasonably happy with how this first game went. I generally prefer to have 3 or more players, but Dan and Mike were both awesome and made it work. I struggled a bit with the mechanics, not because LotFP is difficult, but because the sensibilities of OSR are so different from what I'm used to. I definitely over-relied on rolls when I should have made certain situations more streamlined. I also made some other mistakes that I'm kicking myself for because I know that I know better, and I think between being a bit rusty (my home group hasn't met in a while) and trying to get the feel for OSR, I stumbled a bit more than I would have liked. I also think I may have over-prepped a bit, to my disadvantage, and over-relied on exposition. I'm going to try to work on these things before the next game. That being said, Dan and Mike seemed to appreciate the mystery, the world, and the NPCs, so I think if I can clean up my GMing things will come together well for next play session. I anticipate this adventure taking 1-2 more play sessions, and from there we'll see where things go!

           


       




5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the session went well, and to get another glimpse into Phantasmos! I love seeing Weird Scifi in action.
    Do you do your sessions online? If so, and you need players, I'd be up for joining if schedules align.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Below is a link to our discord group, let me know if it doesn't work. I think we're aiming to play next Sunday. I think as of now even if everyone were to make it, I could still probably accommodate one more person ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sorry I haven't gotten back to you, things have been pretty hectic :c I believe the discord invite expired, but that's my bad. Next sunday I have a group project session for my program so I won't be able to make it for that session

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I can send you another link whenever, if your schedule works out.

      Delete