My Games

Monday, June 6, 2022

5 Minute Challenge Anew: Incursion

Library of Attnam has started doing Quarter Hour of Writing (QHW) Challenges in the vein of my old 5 Minute Challenges. I like the idea of bumping it up to 15min, but I also have not quite 15min before I need to start work, and I try to post on at least a weekly basis, and as Save vs. TPK said recently I'm trying to be more comfortable with shorter posts.

I'll use one of Attnam's prompts, and in this case I rolled Incursion, so that's what we're doing.

And... GO!
  • A spectrum of light perpendicular to light as we know it, intersecting at green, breaches the electromagnetic barrier.
  • Reality is in fact a dream, and for the first time, you experience oneiric wakefulness.
  • The universe is an Ouroboros. As it comes closer to consuming itself, entropic unraveling exponentiates.
  • Breaching the wall of life and death like puncturing choking cellophane, a pleasant and disturbing compression.
  • Transduced consciousness into soundwaves and decomposed along frequency-power axes via Fourier Transform.
These were adequate. Until next time...






2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a perpendicular spectrum of light, but what could it mean to "breach the electromagnetic barrier"? A weapon that pierces forcefields, or all baryonic matter? A way for invisible creatures to still see? The secret to alchemical transmutation of atoms? That it's green light that's the intersection point makes me think there's some potential for Ballardian environmental weirdness, forests becoming prisms and/or portals for this universe of alien light.

    "like puncturing choking cellophane" - great simile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played with both of those ideas before. I can't think of a good previous post example offhand for the perpendicular spectrum of light, but for the "puncturing choking cellophane", that was inspired by the Exit Field Gear for the Silent Scream Surf Golem in this post: https://weirdwonderfulworlds.blogspot.com/2022/04/weird-mecha-metaphor-for-embodied.html
      and to a lesser extent Undead Dreams (https://weirdwonderfulworlds.blogspot.com/2019/06/draft-undead-dreams.html), and just some of these ideas I've been thinking about, about mortality and death and how we perceive them.

      The "breach the electromagnetic barrier" part was very much a Free Association / 5 Minute Challenge byproduct haha. If I had to give it a semi-hard explanation I'd say I was thinking of something more like The Color Out of Space, or maybe like Octarine, but admittedly I have not read Discworld so more my rough understanding of it. But it could also be something a little more literal like you're suggesting.

      Delete