My Games

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Maximum Recursion Depth Release!!!!!

Maximum Recursion Depth, or Sometimes the Only Way to Win is to Stop Playing, is officially released on drivethrurpg and itch.io!


Between the original conception and Ashcan Edition, through the Kickstarter which took longer than I had intended, I have been working on this game for well over a year. This was my passion project during the insanity that has been Covid, and the culmination of years longer of inspiration and personal experiences.

When I left academia, I told myself that if I could successfully transition into a career in software engineering, that I had to use the opportunities made available to me to publish a book, and now I have. It is by no means perfect, I can already see flaws in it, and I hope in the future that I will grow in my writing and game design abilities even more and the flaws become even more salient. But even so, or even if I never publish another book, I will always have this.

I can say reasonably confidently that MRD is unlike anything else I've seen or read, even if it certainly has inspirations. It won't be for everyone, whether due to my own failings as a creator or simply because it is not something that conforms to genre conventions, but I hope that enough people appreciate it for what it is to justify continuing with this endeavor.

Given the support on Kickstarter, my ongoing year-long campaign, and feedback I've received on the NSR discord server and from other creators who I respect, MRD has already been a success as far as I'm concerned. I don't expect to break drivethrurpg in sales numbers, I'm just grateful to have made a thing that I think is of reasonably high quality, for it to be real and effectively eternal barring the plausible collapse of civilization as we know it but hopefully at least through my life if not a little while longer than that.

I will probably take a pause before launching into anything else immediately, especially since I'm about to start a new job, but if you are happy with this first issue of MRD, know that I have several plans for potential future issues!

PS: I had originally said in a few places that there was going to be a big announcement coinciding with the release, but after discussing with some people, I've decided to hold up on that for a while, but it will come back eventually!

8 comments:

  1. I am very glad to see the project reaching conclusion. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)! Trying not to get too overwhelmed with it and just let it simmer. Like I said in the post, I don't expect it to break drivethrurpg sales but I just hope it finds an audience...

      Delete
    2. Congrats on getting this out there! I hope your new job treats you well.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Anne! Still easing into things, probably won't have any real work to do for at least a week or so, but so far it's been nice meeting my new team and getting the lay of the land.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, hope you're riding high. Looking forward to the big announcement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ya it's something I don't think I've seen anyone try before but that I hope will get people interested :)

      Delete