My Games

Monday, December 14, 2020

Weird & Wonderful Survey (post-MRD Kickstarter!)

The Maximum Recursion Depth Kickstarter has been funded! As I neared the launch, I was utterly convinced that it would completely bomb, so to have actually succeeded is just immensely validating and exciting and I thank everyone who contributed, either directly by backing the project, or providing advice, or encouragement, or spreading the word. Thank you :)! Even when I started this blog in 2018, on some level I had wanted to eventually publish something relatively big, and it's crazy to see this all finally happening. I mean, I had produced Pixels & Platforms and the MRD Ashcan Edition, but this is on another level!

With that said, I'm wondering what to do now with the blog. I'm definitely not going to stop blogging, but I do think I'll need to slow down a bit, so I can focus more time on all of the logistics, development, and playtesting for MRD. Besides slowing down, I need to think about my intentions for the blog. Do I want to spend the better part of the development cycle writing about MRD? Writing things like play reports, or supplementary content that won't necessarily make it into the book but might go into future books, or be useful extra content? Or, would it be better to use the blog as a creative outlet for things other than MRD? It may be good for me to allow myself to create stuff that is not just MRD, so I don't get stuck. But, sometimes there are going to be tough things I'm just going to have to work through, and writing other stuff might just be a distraction. Obviously, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I do need to be thinking about things.

Below is a google forms survey, but if it looks a little funky embedded in blogger, you can also follow this link.

5 comments:

  1. I can only speak for myself, but I would like to see the blog continued, on whatever topic you wish to write, at the speed that it is comfortable for you so to avoid a burnout. I like MRD and yes, I wish some more content for it, but MRD itself took shape in the blog, so if other ideas (be it microsettings, or tables, or interviews or something else) come along or new ones appear, I will read about them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :). We'll see, I'll probably just let it happen organically as you suggest, I just like getting other people's opinions.

      Delete
  2. What I enjoy about your writing is primarily your sincerity, breadth of technical knowledge, and willingness to experiment (not necessarily in that order). So long as that keeps going (and maybe even if it doesn't if you can hit other good notes) then I trust your judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have every intention of continuing to do those things one way or another ;), thanks!

      Delete