My Games

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Maximum Recursion Depth, or Sometimes the Only Way to Win is to Stop Playing: The Karmapunk RPG (Ashcan Edition) Release (and appendix-N)!

I just released Maximum Recursion Depth, or Sometimes the Only Way to Win is to Stop Playing: The Karmapunk RPG (Ashcan Edition) on itch.io for the Eclectic Bastionjam. It's a game based on the Into the Odd / Electric Bastionland ruleset, but with a unique setting about the Numberless Courts of Hell and superpowered people rescuing Poltergeists from a broken bureaucracy.

It's hard to do the setting and game concept full justice, or at least I've struggled to do so, in this "ashcan" edition lacks some of the context that I would ultimately like to provide.

I really really badly want to do something bigger with this, so please, if you would have any interest in seeing this as a fully fleshed-out product, please let me know! Any constructive criticism or general support would be greatly appreciated!

To help provide some of that context, I'm going to include an appendix-N here. It is by no means exhaustive, and is in no particular order. I will almost certainly edit this post a million times as more things come to me. But hopefully, this will give people a general idea.

For more on Maximum Recursion Depth, follow that link to see previous posts.





  • Grant Morrison: Doom Patrol, Invisibles, basically everything else he's done
  • Neil Gaiman's Sandman and DC Vertigo more broadly
  • The Matrix
  • Journey to the West
  • Chinese mythology (Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, indigenous beliefs)
  • Tenra Bansho Zero
  • Bojack Horseman
  • The Good Place
  • Persona 3-5
  • New York City

5 comments:

  1. Just to let you know I am very interested.
    The example in your previous post was strange and intriguing, so I would like more of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as always I really appreciate your support! I've just updated the game with a few generators which will hopefully clarify things further and be a fun way for people to dig into the setting and possibly more easily run an adventure in it. I'll share them on this blog at some point as well when I have a moment.

      I've got some rough plans for what I want to do with this, just trying to figure out how plausible it all is so we'll see...

      Delete
    2. Thank you - and they do run in my browser without any problems.
      Is it possible to combine them into a single file, so I can click buttons and get all results on one page?

      Delete
    3. Ya that's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I still want to work on them more, but next time I post an update I'll include a version that combines them all

      Delete