My Games

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Super Blood Harvest is awesome!

A "real" post should be coming soon, just haven't had the time or energy but I'm sitting on a million ideas and they keep coming so hopefully some day soon I'll have some good stuff incoming.

Anyway, here's a not-review for Super Blood Harvest, which I just read in its entirety just now.

I don't really have anything particularly insightful to say about this game, except that it is awesome, and I don't understand why more people aren't talking about it. I'm pretty sure I had heard of it, but there are certain games that get brought up all the time and I don't understand why this isn't up there as one of those.

It's by Dirk Leichty who was also the artist on Silent Titans, and like Silent Titans it's doing a very unique brand of Weird Science Fantasy using a system derived from Into the Odd. The first two issues are in a setting vaguely reminiscent of Vampire Hunter D set on a Space Hulk with all sorts of weird science, vampires, eldritch things, and I'm not doing it justice with that explanation but its very cool. Dirk's art is amazing, and he infuses a retro video-gamey style that makes it feel as much like Castlevania or Doom as Vampire Hunter D.

The third issue is set in the far future of the first two issues (I think) and really takes things to a whole other level. At first glance it's a Barsoom meets Terminator pastiche, kind of, but that really does not at all do justice to how disturbing, Cronenbergian, Orwellian, generally dystopian, and Weird this setting is. It's kind of like the Matrix too, or at least Zion, except not shitty. It would not be possible for me to describe it in a way that does it justice, but it is unlike anything else and also I'm reasonably confident there is much more going on there than I had the mental bandwidth to fully comprehend as I was reading it.

I realize I don't have a whole lot of professional RPG work to my name aside from this blog, but Dirk, if you're reading this, I'd love to work with you some time!



No comments:

Post a Comment