My Games

Saturday, April 13, 2019

30 Day Challenge: Day 24 Hybrid Species

Going to try to break my streak of failing to do this on the weekend and actually do this today. Starting to adjust to scaling back on caffeine. Had a tea in the afternoon yesterday but that was it, today a cafe du monde in the morning and maybe I'll have a tea later but that's it. So I was watching an episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine last night and it was a Jadzia Dax-focused episode, and I was thinking about the Parasite challenge that went around a while back, and the Lattimors from Numenera which I've always thought were cool, so this'll be an attempt at some species that are a merger of other species.


  • Everyone knows that spells are alive, and sometimes become conscious. What is less well known is that sometimes a conscious spell merges with the spellcaster, weaving its magical essence into the physical body and metaphysical mind. The final being is no longer the spellcaster nor the spell.
  • On rare occasions, an undead will accidentally regrow a soul. Maybe the soul hadn't fully died off upon undeath, or maybe it's a soul cancer. In any case, it can happen. Sometimes too, a soul finds its way back to its undead body. Sometimes, an old soul and a new soul meet. Usually this leads to violent astralogical conflict that leads to the collapse of both souls. On extremely rare occasions, the two souls reconcile, and the being is returned to life, but now as an entirely new soul.

Well, I only came up with two, but I think they're pretty good. The latter is a concept I've played with on this blog before, but I think the former is new for me, and I think could be expanded in some cool ways.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is from last year but these are fucking cool ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't think anyone actually read these 30 day challenge posts! I ended up picking up that undead resoul/cancer idea elsewhere in a few places, off the top of my head, at least in:

      Enter the Cancerverse: 1d20 Weird & Wonderful Undead
      https://weirdwonderfulworlds.blogspot.com/2018/12/enter-cancerverse-1d20-weird-wonderful.html

      "Traditional" Fantasy Anathema:
      https://weirdwonderfulworlds.blogspot.com/2018/09/traditional-fantasy-anathema.html

      I feel like I'm missing one or two more cases where I played with that idea, but can't find those posts for the life of me right now...

      Delete