My Games

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

The Magical Man Machine

Thank you, I designed them myself! Yes they really work! See that vein there? Yes, I just attach it to the wheel overnight and it's reinvigored by the morning. Oh, those are self-producing bioplastics, I'm especially proud of those. You think I'm beautiful? Gee golly, thanks. I think I'm beautiful too. I mean, I think you're beautiful too. I know it seems impractical, and like a lot of work to have done this, and it is and was, but art isn't meant to be practical. Yes, this is my art. Some people are repelled by it, but I think that says more about them than me. You see what the engineers don't understand, they really just don't get it, is that the system is just one side of the equation, but you can't explain the experience as a system. So I knew, I knew, to really know what it means to be a machine, I had to become one. But it's not enough to be a cyborg, no, that's got it all wrong. Cybernetics is about systems of control, and you can't understand what anything really means through systems and control, isn't that obvious? A cyborg is just a series of interfaces, translation points between electrical signals and those of the body, and then the spirit. No, to embody the machine, I had to reshape myself, the body itself, into something like a machine, a Man Machine. The qualia of it, the pure aesthesia, well, it can't be described, that's the whole point isn't it? To roll on wheels, to see like a camera, to store memories as hash mapped blocks of information! And see, that's where the artists get it all wrong, because they think the machine can never produce art. But it's a moving target, art to them is whatever the human can do that the machine cannot, and when the machine can do it, then it's not art anymore, it's something else. But let me tell you, they've got it all wrong. The machine has an art all of its own, invisible to the perceptual quirks of the human eye, out of phase with the holographic human soul, illogical to the material brain. Let me tell you from personal experience that there is magic in the machine! Am I so repulsive? Don't you want to be a Magical Man Machine as well? Sometimes I miss the oxytocin tingle of a gentle finger stroking along the hairs of my forearm, or the spicy floral fragrance of navratna oil and its cooling sensation on my scalp. I have the memory in block storage, but even in its "lossless" format, I know the je ne sai quai is all wrong, it's a different flavor of experience. And it is lonely sometimes, being the only Magical Man Machine. It's no better nor worse an experience. I mean, in some ways its worse, if only because the world doesn't know what to do with me. But that's where the magic comes from isn't it? The divergence from consensus reality. A vast and sparse noosphere, the joy of ships passing in the night, sailing the ocean of anonymous nobodies and nothings, each themselves doing likewise, whether they even know it or not. Oh my gosh, oh I'm so sorry, I really ran away with myself there. I'm sorry, I haven't even asked yet, how was your day?

2 comments:

  1. This is great! Lovely monologue! I'm reminded a little of a phrase I heard you use once that has stuck in my head ever since - "the machinery of being human" I think, though that might be a paraphrase.
    This feels really unique to me! I love the distinction the speaker makes that he is NOT a cyborg, but a Magical Man Machine and the idea of a "different flavor of experience" - that this is not a man interfacing with a machine but actually experiencing reality as one - makes me imagine all kinds of fascinating things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ya the idea of not just interfacing with machine consciousness like a cyborg, but actually embodying a machine, is an important part of this story. I don't specifically remember using the phrase "the machinery of being human" but that absolutely does sound like something I would say haha.

      I'm trying to explore both a new style of writing, and also a new synthesis of ideas; not like a radical departure from my previous style or the themes I usually explore, but still a slightly different and I think underexamined perspective.

      I'm working on an FKRish game module, nominally for MRD Vol.3 aka The Animist Setting but intended as a standalone thing, tentatively called: "Into Interodelia: A Probiotic Drug Cocktail Adventure", that is also operating in this headspace. Unfortunately I lost the flow within the last week or so, so it's languishing in google doc hell for now, but hopefully it'll come back.

      Delete