My Games

Friday, August 23, 2019

Revelations of the Mononoke Princess Auto-Generators

I was really into hmmmarquis' OD&D hack: Revelations of the Mononoke Princess. It's a fairly simple hack that could probably be applied to other versions of OSR or bolted onto other relatively simple games, and is evocative of the classic anime movie Princess Mononoke. The Harmony / Ambition / Hatred mechanic reminds me of the Karma system from the Japanese tabletop RPG Tenra Bansho Zero, and the exploration of these kinds of themes is something I have been fascinated with for a long time. I actually have a karma game / setting idea of my own I've been sitting on, and this may be the inspiration I needed to go for it!

What I also like about this hack, in addition to it being simple and evocative of karmic themes, is also how the mechanics lend themselves to organic worldbuilding. The features of the Kami-Gods, Demons, and Great Forest Spirits flesh out the world and give players motivations, as do the curses, and one could easily build a campaign just from that.

Given how much I appreciated hmmmarquis' work on this, I decided to code up an automatic generator for it! From this, you can create 1st level characters, Kami-Gods, Demons, Great Forest Spirits, Benign Spirits, and God-Curses. In later versions I would like to make it more flexible, like picking specific classes or allowing higher level characters.

Generators for Revelations of the Mononoke Princess by hmmmarquis.blogspot.com


NOTE: Characters are assumed to be level 1, have HD of 1d6, AC starts at 9 and is THAC0, and stats may be modified by class. For Monk, AC assumes no armor.



Choose a character type


Generate a RotMP character:


Generate a God-Curse:



4 comments:

  1. With the blog now down, is there any way to make a printable version of this still? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya it's a shame they took down the blog :/. You should be able to rip the javascript from the generators, or if you're not sure how to do that, if I have time I could try to pull it apart myself or see if I kept a spreadsheet of the tables somewhere.

      Delete
    2. So I just found out that it's all actually over at a new blog. There's even some new pages. Cheers!

      https://themarquisat.blogspot.com/search/label/Mononoke
      https://themarquisat.blogspot.com/2018/09/kami-gods-in-revelations-of-mononoke.html
      https://themarquisat.blogspot.com/2018/09/cursed-gods-are-demons-in-revelations.html

      Delete
    3. Ooh nice ya I knew they had a new blog but didn't realize they had transferred all the old stuff onto it. That's nice, thanks for letting me know!

      Delete