My Games

Sunday, August 18, 2019

High Level Games: 3 Unique Variations on "The Crawl"

I forgot to post about this sooner, but I wrote another article for HLG! This one is about rethinking "The Crawl" in tabletop RPGs, and how that design goal in the abstract can be applied to different kinds of games. It was inspired by my recent game Pixels & Platforms: The Platform Crawl RPG, my submission for DREAMJAM on itch.io. With that game, I took the base mechanics of Lasers & Feelings, generally considered a "storygame", but applied a design philosophy of retro-2D platformer videogame Stage-as-Dungeon to create an experience intended to be more like OSR. While it has undergone revisions, it is still definitely a work in progress, but I hope that people will check it out, play it, and provide feedback, or also use it as a springboard for their own Crawl ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment