My Games

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Discussion: D&D Alignment and the Attachment Dimension

I'm working on a new "traditional" fantasy table, and I don't think it'll be ready for a while unless I find a vein of inspiration, but I wanted to share one of the ideas for that table now and also ask for peoples thoughts on it.

This specific idea is about the D&D alignment system. As a matter of principle, I hate the very concept of the alignment system, and more specifically how it is reductionist, leads to lazy worldbuilding and character-building, and how it devolves into things like "lawful stupid" (lawful good) or "backstabbing murder hobo" (chaotic evil). That being said, I love playing with and thinking about ethical and metaphysical concepts from Eastern religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism, or games that utilize these philosophies in interesting ways such as Tenra Bansho Zero.

I should state that I am hardly an expert on Eastern philosophy or religion. I've taken some classes and read some books here and there but don't claim to be perfectly representing these belief systems. If people think I am so fundamentally misrepresenting these belief systems as to be offensive, I can change the language or in some other way dissociate this from them, but hopefully if nothing else it can be appreciated just as a reflection of some of my own thoughts.

With that disclaimer out of the way, here is my attempt at adding a "third dimension" to the D&D alignment system. 

Attachment: This dimension concerns the extent to which one engages with the material world and with ones own thoughts. The three categories along this dimension are upadana (passion), wu wei (non-action / neutral), and wu nian (non-thought). 

Upadana: Passionate, motivated by events from ones past or the current state of the world. Focused on unresolved personal conflicts. A desire to tangibly affect the world, or be remembered during ones life or after ones death. 

Wu Wei: The belief that there is a way of the world (tao), and whether evil or good, chaotic or lawful, that this way is as it should be. As such, one should refrain from acting upon ones personal motivations and desires. This is not to say that one cannot act at all, or have any personal beliefs, nor is it to say that one should champion the status quo. Change itself can be part of the way, and one may act in a manner consistent with the way of the world, as they understand it.

Wu Nian: Intrinsic to the nature of the material world is suffering, and therefore wu wei is to accept and tacitly engage with this broken system. However, upadana is also not the solution, as passion only fuels more passion, unwittingly entrenching oneself deeper in suffering. Instead, one must detach from the material world itself, and to do so, one must necessarily detach from ones own thoughts and desires.

Given that this is already in greater detail than what will go into the brief entry on the table I'm working on, I have not yet thought about all of the alignment permutations with the other two dimensions, and honestly I don't have much interest in doing so since as I've already said I don't like the alignment system in the first place. If people have ideas for these permutations though, I would certainly be interested in hearing them! However, I'm mainly interested in people's thoughts on this ethical dimension itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment